Thursday, March 3, 2011

Something, Somewhere, Some Place in Time











A couple of years ago, the Marek Fire reached the mountains down the street from my house. Not too long after, the Sayre Fire came from the other direction and eventually met where the Marek Fire had left off. My family was evacuated at 4 in the morning on a school day. Fortunately, we were some of the lucky ones. Others, however, were not so lucky.

I originally set out to see what had happened to my neighborhood, but with a brand new camera, I couldn't resist documenting what I saw. I feel these pictures are documentary style in that they are evidence of something, somewhere, some place in time but with a little artistic flare thrown in.

The shots of the firefighters is from the Marek Fire.
The shot of the house is not mine. I wanted to show just how close the fire had come to the brand new, cookie-cutter, too-close-together-to-have-a-yard houses they built.
The shots of the flames were taken from my roof of the Sayre Fire. Unfortunately, most of the shots came out blurry. I was, however, able to snap a few that looked as though lava was flowing down the mountainside.
The rest were (if I remember correctly) taken a few weeks after the Marek Fire. I was evacuated because the fire had reached the wash. The wash is suppossed to be for runoff for the dam, but over the years it had turned litterally into a forest. I don't have any pictures of it before the fire but imagine one day turning a corner and a forest had dissapeared. Though very tragic, I tried to find the good hiding somewhere within. We went exploring and found that life goes on. Among the trash, old car, and yes, a horse skeleton (untouched by flames, weird and creepy), life had begun to grow again. Baby plants had began to grow right where their parents had died. It was very inspiring and rather poetic.
Oh, the snail. Thats actually a sad story. We came across maybe 20 of them in a small area. They couldn't out run the flames :'(

...I maaayyyy have had a little trouble uploading neatly...

5 comments:

  1. I love your choice of images as they really captured the essence of the fire, the damage, and the community in which it occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your down-low images - they express the natural effects of fire and the resiliency of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so far your photos have been the ones i like most. good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good pictures that complete a story IMO.
    My brother is a firefighter so pictures like these hit home.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

    None of them are cropped or edited at all. It means a lot that fellow photographers like my work :)

    ReplyDelete