Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What do we Document?


For some reason, it has been really hard for me to define Documentary photography. I have been searching my mind for ideas on what to post. I haven't been able to take a picture the last 2 weeks that I feel really reflects documentary. So, I was going through my picture folders, and I noticed something. We use photos to document important things in our lives. I think everyone has taken a picture to remember a certain occasion. As I went through my pictures, I noted births/birthdays, graduations, weddings, engagements, etc... all things I wanted to document and remember.
This is a picture of my niece taken last month, just hours after she was born. I think that is documentary.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. The picture and what you said about what we document. Interesting. The picture is a little dark but I love her expression. I imagine her saying "its so cold out here! put me back!"

    ReplyDelete