Sunday, February 13, 2011

More Perspective




The only regret I have is that the foreground foliage isn't more interesting - maybe some colorful flowers? As you may have realized, one of the techniques I enjoy is shallow depth of field. It's not useful in all situations. But I like getting in close and using larger apertures. If you haven't seen it before, check-out some "bokeh" images on Google. This is a Japanese word for controlled blur or the aesthetic quality of blur or out-of-focus. This is can be accomplished quite well using a 50mm 1.4 lens with a large aperture setting with the camera close to the focus point. Here's one example (click on image for a better look):

5 comments:

  1. I Love this because it appears as though this is a mini landscape, the perspective is wonderful. I also like the shallow depth of field in this photo what made you choose to highlight the tree instead of the entire view? Great ,choice keep up the good work .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! I like to get close to my subject and use a larger aperture. I think using shallow depth of field gives an interesting perspective to and image - a little extra dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second shot reminds me of a shot I took of a few drops of dew on a clover that I love. Maybe if I can find it I'll post it. I'd love to get your opinion. I love your first one as well. I just feel like the bend in the branch is in an awkward place. It just touches the top of the bowl. I feel like it flattens the image a little. Don't get me wrong, I love it! Maybe just be aware of things like that next time. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crazy miniature effect in the top photograph is delightful. I want more!

    ReplyDelete